A brain child of Dr. Nirmala S. Rao, Aavishkar was established as a Psychiatric Clinic in 1993 with the aim of reaching out to the emotionally disturbed. A comprehensive approach to mental health with an emphasis on counselling, psychotherapy and “understanding the person” gave Aavishkar its distinctive image.
In the course of her extensive work with patients, Dr. Rao realized that most problems resulting in psychiatric emergencies could have been prevented if dealt with in the initial stage. Creating awareness among the general public about mental health and well-being became Aavishkar’s motto and it evolved into to Aavishkar Centre for Self Enrichment. Dr. Rao has always believed in UTOPIA - an ideal society.
It has been her endeavor to inspire and enthuse one and all to strive to achieve this. Driven by this compelling vision and an undeterred idealism, Dr. Rao has truly “walked the talk”.
Accomplishments at - a glance
- An excellent academic record with National & State scholarships to her credit; completed M.D. in Bombay University and ranked third; conducted a number of research studies at JJ Hospital in her position as RMO
- Started her career in 1987 as a consultant therapist; established “Aavishkar” and started her private practice in 1993. Her clinical practice has developed mainly from word-of-mouth, patients come to her not only from Mumbai but also all over Maharashtra.
- Initiated a pioneering methodology to provide comprehensive treatment involving intensive counseling and psychotherapy along with medication. She was the first psychiatrist in Private Practice in Mumbai to form a team of psychologists, counselors and psychotherapists to assist her in treating patients.
- Promoted preventive mental health through exhibitions in Mumbai, Pune and Dubai (Well-being Show, 2005) Rehabilitated her patients through the ART-REHAB project to make them economically self-reliant.
- Provided free counselling & conducted workshops for disaster victims (Bombay bomb blasts, Gujarat Earthquake) to help them cope with post-traumatic stress disorders.
- Established Support Groups for Senior Citizens and Single Women
- Supported girl-education in rural areas of Neral and Karjat
- Supported CSR activities of business organizations
- Awarded the ShreHariHaraputraBhajanSamaj’sSamaj Shakti award for Social Service in 2006
- Invited by a number of business organsitaions to conduct behavioral training and leadership development programmes. Assisted D.F.I.D (UK) in the “Self Development” program for Rural Branch Managers in Bhopal.
- A Certified Trainer for Situational Self Leadership (SSL) from Ken Blanchard, USA and for Presentation Skills from Delta College, Michigan (USA)
- Collaborated with the DFID, UK team to design and conduct a programme for bank managers in rural branches.
- Spoke on “Managing Emotions” and “You are the Ceo of Your Life” to an international audience at the Well-being Show, 2005 in Jumeriah, Dubai. Her inputs were well received.
- Frequently interviewed by T.V. channels and Radio stations, on various aspects of mental health
- Her weekly column in the Bombay Times first for teenagers and subsequently for parents was widely read Dr. Rao leads a multifaceted team of professionals from varied backgrounds.
|Founder - Director|
|Dr. Nirmala S. Rao , Psychiatrist
Psychologist & Behavioural Trainer
Dr. Kirti Potkar
|Dr. Ambarish Bhatt
|Mrs. Seema Agarwal
Counselor, Behavioural Trainer
|Ms. Minal Gupte
Counselor, Behavioural Trainer
|Mr. Ravi Ramakrishnan
|Mrs. Vijal Sejpal
||Mr. Ganesh Gawali
|Mr. Santosh Sawant
||Mr. Rushikesh Zende
|Mrs. Darshana Bhatia-Sharma
|Dr. Rupesh G. Enagandula , Psychiatrist
|Mr. Rohit Kotari